Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Chunks of chocolate [optional]
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the butter and sugar together in your mixer on a low speed until well creamed.
- Add the eggs, then vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Allow to mix on a medium setting until all of the lumps are gone.
- Add chunks of chocolate [optional] if you want it to look like my photo at left, but don't add if you plan to decorate them with icing such as in the photos below.
- Fill cupcake papers nearly to the top but don't overfill full as they will rise during baking. See photo. I like them to be round on top when they come out of the oven, so note how high I fill the tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until your toothpick comes back clean but before they start to split on top.
- Remove from baking tin when you take them out of the oven. Allow to cool fully before icing.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/chocolate-cupcakes/