Recipe type: Bread
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 loaf
- 2 Cups chopped dates
- 2 teasppons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups of plain flour plus 4 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the dates, baking soda and water and leave for several hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease a baking tin.
- To the date mixture, add the egg, sugar butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the salt and flour 1 cup at a time and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 40 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/date-bread/