Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 230 ml milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- White granulated sugar for coating.
- Oil for frying
- Melt your butter in the microwave.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and add the milk and combine together with the vanilla extract.
- Add the sugar.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and combine. When your mixture begins to pull away from the side of the bowl and you achieve a doughy texture, sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Roll your dough out to about 1 inch thick. If you want to make a ring doughnut, simply use two cookie cutters. Cut a large cookie out and inside cut out a small cookie. Pull the doughnut ring out and set aside until all the dough has been cut. For a plump doughnut ball just use one cookie cutter.
- In a pan, pour in the oil to about 4 inch high and heat. Test the heat of the oil by putting in a small piece of dough, if it sizzles and bubbles, it's ready for the doughnuts!
- Carefully place in the doughnuts in the oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, turn the doughnuts. Fry until a light golden brown and set aside to cool on kitchen paper.
- When all your doughnuts are cooked, on a plate throw on your granulated sugar. Dab each doughnut in the sugar until completely coated.
- Stack up on a plate for everyone to enjoy!
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/doughnuts/