Recipe type: cupcakes
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Chunks of chocolate [optional]
- Fondant Icing Sugar
- Food colourings.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the butter and sugar together in your mixer on a low speed until well creamed.
- Add the eggs, then vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Allow to mix on a medium setting until all of the lumps are gone.
- Add chunks of chocolate [optional] if you want it to look like my photo at left, but don’t add if you plan to decorate them with icing such as in the photos below.
- Fill cupcake papers nearly to the top but don’t overfill full as they will rise during baking. See photo. I like them to be round on top when they come out of the oven, so note how high I fill the tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until your toothpick comes back clean but before they start to split on top.
- While they bake, make the icing by mixing icing sugar with warm water. Separate into separate bowls when adding the food colouring and mix until thick. You may also add cream cheese for added thickness/flavour!
- Remove from baking tin when you take them out of the oven. Allow to cool fully.
- When your cupcakes are ready, set them aside to cool on a wire rack.
- When both the icing and cakes are room temperature, begin pasting the icing on in anyway you like. I used green for the face and red and blue for the features. You really can do what ever you like!
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/halloween-cupcakes/