Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 60 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
- For the pastry:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- a dash of cold water.
- Or simply pre-made pastry, ready to roll!
- For the filling:
- 2 large baking apples, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the butter and flour and add a dash of cold water, mix into a dough. Add more water if the dough is a little dry.
- Separate the dough into 2 balls, wrap separately in cling film and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, cinamon, nutmeg and salt. Chop the apples and combine together and set aside.
- Remove the dough balls from the fridge and roll into two sheets. One must be large enough to be pressed into the heart-shaped tin!
- Place one sheet over the top of a heart shaped baking tin and allow the sheets to relax. Gently shuffle the sheet to the bottom of the tin and lightly press around the corners being careful not to rip the pastry.
- Fill the case with the apple filling and trim any excess dough from the edges.
- With the other pastry sheet, lay over the tin and with a sharp knife cut around the sides of the heart shaped tin.
- eal the pie by pinching both sheets together and brushing the corners of each with a little milk.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- When it's crispy and golden take it out and leave to cool.
- Serve warm or cold with icecream.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/heart-apple-pie/