Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Total time: 2 hours
- 3 cups white flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Almond extract
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 Bramley baking apples
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon sugar
- Slivers of almonds [for the top]
- parchment paper
- Spray flour or butter [to grease the pan]
- Removable bottom cake tin
- Preheat the oven for 350F.
- Prep your four apples by chopping them into chunks, skins on, holding back 3-4 slices, skins off to garnish the top of your cake. [see photos below.]
- Mix your dry ingredients first. Add your wet ingredients, in the order on the left, stopping after you add the apples chunks.
- Trace parchment paper around your pop-out bottom cake tin.
- Thoroughly butter/grease your tin [I use spray release] and then add your parchment.
- Pour the batter, saving 1/8 inch for apples to garnish.
- Add the apples rings, cinnamon and almond flakes.
- Place in the center rack in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Check on it though, as you want it to be moist and different sized tins, climates and altitude not to mention different appliances all impact timing!
- You'll know when it's done. It will be spongy to the touch and your toothpick will come away clean .It should look brown but not burnt on top.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/jewish-apple-cake-2/