Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- For the pastry:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- a dash of cold water
- For the filling:
- 2 large baking apples, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl, combine the butter and flour and add a dash of cold water, mix into a dough. Add more water if the dough is a little dry.
- Turn dough out and wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to chill. [Alternatively you can skip making the dough from scratch and just use short-crust instant pastry mix. I love that stuff!]
- Mix together the sugar, flour, cinamon, nutmeg and salt. Chop the apples and combine together and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Remove the dough balls from the fridge and roll into two sheets. Cut one sheet into circles with a cookie cutter and line each in a well greased cupcake tin or rammekin.
- Fill each case with the apple filling and cut any excess dough from the edges.
- With the other pastry sheet, cut more circles and carefully place each over the apple fillings.
- Seal the mini pies by pinching both sheets together and brushing the corners of each with a little milk.
- Place in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- When they a crsipy golden take them out and leave them to cool slightly.
- Use a blunt knife to help push them out of the tin.
- Serve warm with ice cream
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/mini-apple-pies/