Recipe type: Entree
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 80 mins
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 6 onions
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 8 cups of Veggie stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 8 slices of toasted fresh bread
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Grate the onion and mine the garlic.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until soft, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and carmelize for a further 20 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
- Boil 1/2 litre of water and add the stock. Pour over the onion along with the wine. Add the thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 20-30 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour into oven proof bowls.
- Cover with thick sliced bread and sprinkle with cheese for 10 minutes at 350 F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned.
- Serve piping hot.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/onion-soup/