Oh! Another great thing about them. You can just as easily make mini ones [see photo right] so everyone gets their own [perfect for bake sales, casual parties, etc.] or one large one for the dramatic ”Ooh, you MADE THAT?! effect to bring to a party.
They are pretty easy to make…but here’s the golden rule to remember: mirangues are easy to make as long as your EGG WHITES ARE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE! And you must follow the rule of folding, not beating! Be gentle with your peaked egg whites and your mirangues will be a great success.
Be sure to whip cream for the center and add any berries you like. Red berries make a great impact, but kiwi, blueberries, and blackberries ALL taste great too! The fruit possibilities are endless.
You can also add two tablespoons of sweetened cocoa to make a chocolate one…
Yum yum yum!! This is one of my favorite desserts! I’m sure after making it, you’ll be thinking the same thing too!!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups of white caster sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1 tbs of white granulated sugar
- Fresh raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or other seasonal fruit.
- Preheat the oven for 300F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Ensure the eggs are at room temperature, then crack the egg whites into a large bowl and beat, adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue until they form a soft peak.
- Be careful! Overbeaten eggs can deflate when mixed with other ingredients so gently fold in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper. Spread the mixture out from the centre to create a circle, around 9inches in diameter. This should create a small dip in the centre or create small circles with a dip in them to create individual portions like I have in the photo.
- Use a fork to whip the sides of the mixture to create mini peaks.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 1 hour. You’ll know they are done when you tap them and they sound hollow. When it’s done, cool on a wire rack.
- Allow the meringue to dry for as long as your time permits, the drier the better!
- When you’re ready, in a bowl, beat the heavy cream to a stiff peak.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the meringue on a plate. Spoon on the cream and top with raspberries or sweet fruits of your choice!