Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups of white caster sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1 tbs of white granulated sugar
- Fresh raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or other seasonal fruit.
- Preheat the oven for 300F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Ensure the eggs are at room temperature, then crack the egg whites into a large bowl and beat, adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue until they form a soft peak.
- Be careful! Overbeaten eggs can deflate when mixed with other ingredients so gently fold in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper. Spread the mixture out from the centre to create a circle, around 9inches in diameter. This should create a small dip in the centre or create small circles with a dip in them to create individual portions like I have in the photo.
- Use a fork to whip the sides of the mixture to create mini peaks.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 1 hour. You'll know they are done when you tap them and they sound hollow. When it's done, cool on a wire rack.
- Allow the meringue to dry for as long as your time permits, the drier the better!
- When you're ready, in a bowl, beat the heavy cream to a stiff peak.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the meringue on a plate. Spoon on the cream and top with raspberries or sweet fruits of your choice!
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/pavlova/