|Pineapple Upside Down Cake || || |
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Handful of candied cherries
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 8-10 pineapple rings
- 3/4 cup rum
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add 1 3/4 sticks soft butter and the sugar and cream together until pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs 1 at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat, add the remaining 1/4 stick butter and heat until the butter has just melted.
- Add the brown sugar, pineapple pieces and rum.
- Saute until they begin to caramelize, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before adding to the batter.
- In a greased baking pan place pineapple rings in a circle in the bottom of the tin. Place cherries in the centre.
- Pour the batter slowly, so as not to disturb the pineapple rings into the tin until it's about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes before unmolding.
- To unmold, run a small knife around the edge of the cake, take a large serving plate and put it over the top of the tin.
- Carefully flip over and let sit for a couple of minutes until it releases from the tin.
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/pineapple-upside-down-cake/