|Strawberry Upside Down Cake || || |
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whizz together the flour, sugar, baking power and butter.
- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tin of any shape. We prefer bunting tins like the one below.
- Add the strawberries [they'll sink] and some swirls of strawberry sauce. [We use ice cream syrup topping but melted strawberry jam will work too!]
- Bake in the over for 30 minutes. Leave to cool for another 10 and carefully flip the cake over onto a plate and remove the tin. Slice the top to create a flat surface.
- After it cools, add a few more strawberries and sauce, then sprinkle with icing sugar for a final flourish!
Recipe by At Home With Meg Stone at http://www.myjewishhome.com/ns/strawberry-upside-down-cake/