I make the Best Veggie Lasagna!! It’s one of my signature dishes. I may not be Italian, but when it comes to this dish I know what I’m doing. It’s a fantastic family meal packed full of vegetables, cheeses and pasta. And it’s easy to make. I hope you’ll give it a try!
I like to use fresh veg from the garden if it’s the right season, but equally old wilting veg in your fridge can be hidden in here without notice! I have, on more than one occasion found some wrinkly old bell peppers at the back of the fridge and thought, RIGHT! I’m making a lasagna for dinner tonight. It’s the perfect way to not let veg go to waste. If your concerned that the veg may have lost some of it’s fresh sweetness, here’s my best tip:
Add some chutney or sweet pickled relish to the vegetable layer. It add a sweet punch that kicks the dish up several notches. A little goes a long way though so just a touch! But wow! It works a treat.
Okay, step-by-step with ingredients list below. You may also enjoy watching my step-by-step youtube video. Enjoy!
- 1 tub Mascarpone
- 1 Tub Ricotta
- Box of Good quality Lasagna Sheets
- 3 Peppers
- 2 Courgettes
- Cup or so of Mushrooms
- 1 bag Veggie Mince
- 1 jar Tomato Sauce
- Cup of shredded white cheddar to sprinkle on the layers
- Sweet tomato chutney, optional but recommended!
- Couple tablespoons of olive oil for the pasta noodles to not stick and for frying the veg.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and place a lasagna sheet in one at a time allowing ten seconds between each noodle and add a splash of olive oil. Cook until tender but not soft. They will continue to cook in the oven so give them some bite!
- Heat some olive oil in a griddle pan, slice the peppers and courgettes and add them to the pan. Leave to griddle and turn occasionally.
- In another pan, heat a splash of olive oil. Break up the veggie mince and heat for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when your lasagna sheets are ready, drain and rinse them with cold water and peel apart immediately. Hang on the sides of your pasta drainer to rest.
- Combine together the mascarpone and Riccotta cheese in a bowl.
- In another bowl, grate the Cheddar.
- In a large greased casserole dish, lay down the first layer of lasgana sheets.
- Add a layer of the mascarpone and ricotta mixture and a layer of tomato sauce.
- Add another layer of lasagne sheets and continue with the vegetables and add some tomato sauce here too.
- Add another layer of noodles and add the quorn with more veg.
- Basically, keep adding layers, about 2/3 inch thick, until you’ve reached the top of your casserole dish. As long as you have the thickness right, there’s no specific order to the layers.
- Add the final layers of lasgana sheets and a splash of tomato sauce and a sprinkling of cheese for the top. This adds visual impact!
- Place in the middle shelf of a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 180.
- Leave to rest for as long as you can. It’s best when it resolidifies as it takes it shape. If you serve it too soon it can be watery and fall apart. Best to let it rest then reheat in the oven just before serving.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 45 minutes at 350F.